Above: I discovered this video thanks to Terrierman
Today I thought I would share some links with you from other bloggers who are encouraging more humane and sane giving this holiday season.
The video above shows someone abandoning a child. Most people would get pretty upset about such actions but the point is that many animals are dumped when they become inconvenient.
For some reason they think it is okay to just get rid of a pet by dumping them off in the forest (a big problem where I live), desert, on the side of the road, or dropping them off to a shelter or animal services facility.
Many animal bloggers discourage giving pets as gifts. In fact, this holiday season I was more interested in promoting those things that are not commercially driven which you can find in my Season of Giving series.
In case you missed it, I wrote about alternative suggestions to giving pets as gifts here.
So, what are other bloggers doing?
- Gina at Pet Connection continues her rant about puppy mills and is doing an awesome job. See Buyers & “Rescuers” of Puppy Mill Pets Keep Cruelty Flowing and More Problems for Puppy Mill Outlets or see everything on the No Christmas Puppies page.
- Terrierman’s Daily Dose had some links to past posts that seemed relevant on the puppy mill and overbreeding topics. My favorite is the Hump & Dump dog Breeders but check out Overbreeding: Beware of Simple Answers.
- Raised by Wolves shared At Least Don’t Buy This.
- Over at Working With Pets Danielle wants to know what your favorite holiday pet activity is and if you drop by to answer you can win pet products and other prizes for sharing the info.
- No Impact Man blogged and then penned an article titled, Christmas with No Presents. He also shared this great link to Redefine Christmas.
So the message here is Don’t Shop–Adopt! Or at least find alternative ways to give that make a positive difference in the lives of animals.
Do you have another blogger whose post fits in? Let me know and leave the link below.